Georgetown: Protect Your Students

Anonymous

Last Tuesday, a student graffitied “Death to America. Death to Israel. A curse upon Jews” in the Student Lounge – our oasis from the world.

Two weeks ago, a student tore down pro-LGBTQ+ posters in the Red Square – our dedicated free speech zone.

Last year, in the midst of the MeToo Movement, GUQ’s female students were constantly let down by their Title IX cases.

Throughout our academic careers, we’ve had to sit in our classes watching our professors dismiss hate-motivated comments in the name of “class discussion.”

These situations are threatening to become part of our campus identity.

Georgetown Administration: Where are you?

Georgetown Wellness: Where are you?

Georgetown Student Life: Where are you?

Georgetown Faculty: Where are you?

Georgetown University Qatar’s stated mission promises “serious and sustained discourse among people of different faiths, cultures, and beliefs.” Georgetown’s Jesuit values promise Cura Personalis– “individualized attention to the needs, distinct respect for each other’s unique circumstances and concerns,” Women and Men for Others to “protect the needs of the most vulnerable,” and Community in Diversity. Health and Wellness strives to “create and maintain a healthy and caring community.” And while the Code of Conduct stands, cases are rarely taken seriously and the above acts demonstrate the administration’s failure to stand by all parts of their Ethos Statement.

The administration finally broke their 48-hour silence on the most recent hate-related attack with a statement that did not go nearly far enough. Firstly, they cowered away from calling the act what it was– anti-Semitic. Secondly, they offered no resources to threatened students, despite claiming to “take all actions necessary to ensure the safety and well-being of our community.” This is in spite of the fact that other students have voiced their concerns through conversations with individual members of the administration and a public letter posted in the Red Square. While we are not ignorant to Main Campus’ flaws (well-documented by The Hoya), the three different emails the administration sent out to Main Campus students about anti-Semitic attacks set an example that our campus chose not to follow.

We know what have the love and care of some faculty and staff, but this needs to go beyond isolated conversations in the smoking lounge. We need to know that we are welcome on this campus. We need to hear that we are heard. We need institutional support.

This is not about politics. This is not a debate about Zionism or LGBTQ+ rights or feminism or freedom of speech or any of the debates our community has been having recently. This is our administration failing to protect our vulnerable populations.

Georgetown: do better.

Sincerely,

A Hoya who feels unsafe in the building that used to be their home.